It has been a long while since I have done a top ten list. Like over 2 years! Jinkies! I’m way overdue.
I have been in a book club for almost 16 years! The same one and there is even one other original book club member other than me. We get together about every 6 weeks, have dinner (and wine, duh) at someone’s house and most of the time, read the books. This book club won’t ostracize you if you don’t read. We have great food, lots of wine, tons of laughs, a few tears here and there, Favorite Things parties and white elephant book exchanges at the Christmas Party. So what I’m saying is that it’s pretty much the best book club that has ever existed.
There are SOOOOOOO many books out there. I can’t imagine reading even a fraction of them. I usually read about 6 books a year. And I insist on reading the book before I watch the movie and the movie usually disappoints – Ya-Ya Sisterhood anyone?
So here is a list of my favorite books I’ve ever read.
- The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini :: A masterpiece. I get inspired overtime I read or listen to this book. It’s just amazing.
- The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver – Seriously incredibly well-written. I just read it again (for like the 5th time) in the summer of 2014 and was amazed by it once again.
- The DaVinci Code – Dan Brown – I was so thoroughly entertained by this book. I literally couldn’t put it down once I started reading it. I loved the short chapters and cliffhangers along the way.
- White Oleander – Janet Fitch – Beautiful writing and compelling story.
- Into the Wild – Jon Krakaur – I became obsessed with Chris McCandless after reading this book. It’s such a haunting story and a tragic ending to his young life. Spoiler alert.
- The Life of Pi – Yann Martel – I love this book. The ending threw me for a loop. Never saw it coming.
- The Lacuna – Barbara Kingsolver – Another Barbara Kingsolver book on my top 10. I adore her books. I think she’s a genius.
- The Boys in the Boat – Daniel James Brown – What I didn’t think was possible as I was nearing the end of this book was that I would be sobbing uncontrollably. It really touched me.
- The Clan of the Cave Bear Series – Jean M. Auel – Truth: I never actually read the very last book in this series. The first 3 books are my favorites!
- Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn – this is another one that I didn’t see coming. But the twists and turns make this book a lot of fun to read.
Most Unfavorite Books:
Incidentally, here is a much shorter list of books I absolutely hated. I only finished Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas and The Heartsong of Charging Elk because it was early in our book club and I thought I had to read everything, even if it was crap.
- A Clockwork Orange – Anthony Burgess – this friggin’ book with it’s made up language. So dumb. And the movie is horrifying.
- Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas – James Patterson – Was this book written by a famous author or an 8th grader? The worst writing ever!
- A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens – I couldn’t get past the first 5 pages of this book. So we decided to watch it. I had to follow along with the Cliffs Notes and still didn’t get it. And then I fell asleep for most of the movie in my friend Jean’s big red Blue’s Clues chair.
- The Heartsong of Charging Elk – James Welch – Wow this is just boring and bad. Not much else I can say.
And there we go. List done! Drop the mic.
I would LOVE to hear your favorite and not so favorite books. Jot ‘em down in the comments below.